Skip to main content

Fix Windows DHCP Issues In Parallels?

(Here's one weird trick to get it working)

Problem and Solution

For me, this is something of a blast from the past.  I first had Windows DHCP issues using a Windows 8 Tablet, on an unreliable hotel connection in Zim, quite some time ago.  I've never had any real issues since, until I got Parallels up and running, on my M1 MacBook Air, with a Windows Insider ARM build. 

The problem looks like this:


Instead of the typical 192.168.x.x address we get from a normal router, there is is this self assigned 169.254.x.x address and and, from an IPv4 perspective, the computer isn't on the network.  Fortunately, what worked for me on Windows 8, all those years ago, works today on Windows 10.  It is this:

Firstly goto settings and then Network and Internet Settings:


Then continue as indicated below:





Now we enter our IP details, manually.  The settings below are for a BT Smart Hub where the lower range of addresses is reliably ignored by the router's DHCP function.  Finding out what manual settings you can use?  The IP information is available in the Mac's network settings (an iPad is another source of easy to get at networking info).


Finally, we simply repeat steps 1 through 4 but, this time, select Automatic (DHCP) at step 4.  When I do this, Windows DHCP springs to life and obtains a different address from my router.  This should then simply continue working going forward, until it doesn't.  

Why is This Happening

I have Googled this and never really found a straight answer, so I guess no one really knows.  It could be a bug in Windows, the router or some sort of bug between Parallels and macOS.  Suspicion probably falls more towards the router because, for example, I never see this issue if the MacBook is tethered to my Pixel 4a 5G.  

I will get around to tcpdump-ing and inspecting what happens in Wireshark, when time permits (but don't expect to learn anything useful).  

Caveats and Problems

Caveat works for me, obviously.

In terms of problems, when I first encountered this on the Mac, very recently, I initially considered just leaving the virtual machine with a fixed IP address.  However, I then noticed a bug whereby the Mac (which uses DHCP) would power up or wake up with the virtual machine's IP address (not in the router's DHCP range), causing a clash if I then fired up the Windows virtual machine.

The final caveat is I encountered this issue on an M1 MacBook using an Insider Build of Windows 10 for ARM.  So all fairly bleeding edge.  This might simply never be a problem on production builds running on Intel based Mac systems?

© Jason Hindle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shrinking Horizon/Shifting Horizon

(Pandemic, demagogy and geopolitics collide) A friend has an Uncle who, in the early 1970s, won the Pools and went and travelled the world.  Postcards sent home include one from Afghanistan, taken soon after crossing the border from Iran.  That's two countries most people wouldn't think of visiting, right now, and a border most would would rather not cross.  And postcards from Afghanistan!  Do such things still get made? I've been to Hong Kong on three occasions.  Thanks to unrest, Hong Kong had ceased to be a tourist destination before the pandemic emergency.  Fast forward to today, and I don't know when/if I'll be going back to this favourite (and most photogenic) city. I've been to mainland China once.  I have a friend who lives and teaches in Shanghai.  I have a multiple entry visa, valid through to August 2021.  That visa wasn't cheap, so I'd rather it didn't go to waste.  Likewise, I don't know when/if I'll be going back to China.  Once

Software Test Automation in Uncertain Times

(A dystopian sense of humour required) I hear the science supports this.  Then I hear the science supports that.  I hear these things day after day and, eventually, I conclude the science supports whatever the government wants the science to support.  The truth is therefore whatever you are being told, or is written on the side of a bus, or a promise made but now denied and erased.  It all has a dystopian hallmark as government clumsily attempts to modify and direct unruly human behaviour, on a grand scale, in this direction or that.   The above was a working bit of script, by the way.  Names have been changed to obscure customers and obfuscate certain semantics and product.  The whole thing builds on a (by now) three year project to upskill and have something a moving skillset compared to the something of a static skillet that had carried me for the better part of twenty years. Gluing (excuse the pun) Gherkin, to meagre Java and Selenium skills, developed in Paris on the kind business